We Are KLA

The month of October has proven to be one of the most challenging in my short time here in New Orleans. Full of highs and lows, the emotions surrounding my experiences have shifted almost as much as the weather I see through my windows. I started out the month with celebrating my 23rd birthday! It was such an incredible thing to see my NoLa family, which consists of my classmates and friends from church, gather to celebrate with me. Two friends from undergrad also came to visit, and that fun weekend was quickly followed by our pulmonary and inflammation block exam. We were off to a running start to say the least.

However, as the reality of being so far away from home settles in, that sprinting start often slows to a jog. Some days I am overjoyed by the opportunity I have been afforded in being in here, and other days I find myself overwhelmed by the sheer number of changes. But aside from my faith in Jesus, one thing that has kept me anchored is being reminded that the work I do has purpose. I am working towards and for something bigger than myself.

Last week at KIPP we had the privilege of setting up for and participating in their monthly house community meeting. This was easily the highlight of my week! We watched the students dance, laugh, play, perform, and showcase all they had accomplished over the month. But the part of the rally that stuck with me was the creed they recited at the beginning. After each line of affirmation regarding their academic standards, leadership in and out of the classroom, and ability to achieve greatness, they always finished by saying “We are KLA!” I am certain that the kids in that room came from different backgrounds, had good and bad days, and were at different places in their academic pursuit. But all of that became secondary and even tertiary once they rallied around the heartbeat of their school. No matter where they were or where they came from, they belonged. This prompted me to make some declarations of my own: I am a child of God, I am daughter/sister/friend, I am Haitian-American, I am Woman, I am Tulane Pharmacology, I am KIPP Volunteering, and I am future MD. What I am doing here is not just about me, it’s about the different people represented with each of the aforementioned identities.


That’s all for the month of October, but I want to leave you with a question: What are your declarations?

Hours completed this month: 6
Total hours completed: 22

Comments

Popular Posts