Why Am I Here?

Why are you here? This is a question that I have had to answer repeatedly as the newness of my big move fades to routine. Remaining connected to my “why” has been paramount in understanding the value of the day to day activities. The month of September marked the start of our volunteering at different sites throughout the city.  I have had the pleasure of working at KIPP New Orleans, as well as the Phyllis Wheatley Community School.

On our first day at KIPP, I was surprised to see that our tasks were far removed from the students. Most of what we do is on the administrative side: filing, data entry, organization, etc. Needless to say clerical work is not what we had expected to be doing, and that has made for a number of teachable moments over the last few weeks. As we grind out seemingly mundane tasks, I have had to re-evaluate whether or not I really understand what it means to serve. When we agreed to volunteer in the community, we said yes to meeting needs, no matter how great or small. With all the stapling, cutting, and sorting, we have invested in the future of New Orleans by coming alongside their teachers. With that perspective, we will continue to show up every week faithfully. Whether we are the ones that shoot the proverbial game defining shots, I am thankful that we get to be a part of the winning team.

At the Phyllis Wheatley Community School I had the honor of joining my friend SW in her exceptional student education (ESE) classroom. Prior to visiting, I had never seen ESE teachers in action, and I was blown away by their patience, strength, and passion. From the loud nonverbal expressions, bites and scratches from aggression, and innumerable repeated phrases, the love in their eyes for each of these students never wavered. These teachers are the unsung heroes of New Orleans, and the proof of that statement came from a moment during story time. One of the teaching assistants V, asked the class take turns naming some of the figures they saw in the park scene of the Curious George story. V called on one of the students and she said “Kite!” in response. Initially, the TA answered by saying that she was wrong. But upon further review, she noted that there indeed was a kite that she had overlooked. “Wow! They see more than I see” said V as she continued on with the story. I don’t think that quote needs any elaboration.

Throughout the month I have gotten countless life lessons from the most surprising places, and these lessons have kept my “why” in sharp focus. Why am I here you may ask? I am here because the soul of NoLa, as seen at KIPP and Phyllis Wheatley, is teaching me how to look beyond myself and learn from the most unexpected teachers. I am adjusting the way I look through my windows. 

Total Hours: 16

Comments

Popular Posts